General Upgrade Information
What are the System Requirements?
- Support for RHEL 6 and CentOS 6 has ended in November 2020 as both products have reached their End Of Lifetime (EOL). Strawberry 6.4 can not be installed on these OS versions. Please check the RHEL/CentOS versions of your Strawberry server(s) and proxy encoding node(s) and update them if required. Click here for more help on this topic.
- Strawberry 6.4 supports GPU-based proxy encoding via Nvidia NVENC if a supported GPU is present in the server.
- The Strawberry Client application does no longer support macOS 10.12 (Sierra) and 10.13 (High Sierra)
- The Strawberry Client application now supports macOS 12 (Monterey) and Apple Silicon (M1). Click here for more information on the Strawberry client application requirements.
- Strawberry 6.4 does not offer panel extensions for Adobe CC 2018 & 2019 products. Click here for more information on the Strawberry client application requirements.
- The Strawberry Archiware P5 integration currently supports P5 versions newer than 5.5.5 with the exception of version 7.0.0 – 7.0.5. P5 version 7.0.6 has been successfully tested.
What Needs to be Updated?
Strawberry 6.4 is a major version upgrade and therefore requires all software parts to be updated. This includes…
- the server software (including all VIEW proxy encoder nodes)
- macOS & Windows client applications
- Adobe CC panels
You can find the latest versions of the client and the Adobe CC panel extension in the related section on our website.
What’s the server update process?
Depending on which Strawberry version you are currently running, the update process can include multiple steps.
If you already are on Strawberry version 6.4.x
The update is incremental and can happen right away.
If you are on Strawberry version 6.2.x
We will update you to 6.4 right away.
If you are on Strawberry version 6.0.x.
The update to version 6.4 is a direct one and does not include the step of updating to version 6.2 first. However, changes that were made in 6.2 will apply to 6.4 as well and you should familiarize yourself with important changes in Strawberry 6.2 since they can affect your workflow.
If you are on Strawberry version 5.6.x
This update needs to be performed in 2 – 3 steps.
1. Update to Strawberry 5.6.12 (can be skipped if either Strawberry 5.6.11 or 5.6.12 is already installed | Important: Strawberry 6.0 Update Info!) | Strawberry 6.2 Update Info!
2. Run the “ prepare_60_update” script from CLI
3. Update to Strawberry 6.4.x
If you are on Strawberry version 5.4.x
This update needs to be performed in 3 steps.
If you are on Strawberry version 5.2.x
This update needs to be performed in 4 steps.
1. Update to Strawberry 5.4.3
2. Update to Strawberry 5.6.12 (Important: Strawberry 6.0 Update Info!) | Strawberry 6.2 Update Info!
3. Run the “ prepare_60_update” script from CLI
4. Update to Strawberry 6.4.x
If you are on Strawberry version 5.0.x or an older version
If you are on Strawberry version 5.0.x or another EOL version, please contact our support for details regarding the update.
Important and/or Breaking Changes
Strawberry 6.4 is a major upgrade that includes new features as well as changes to existing features. Some of these changes might have an impact on your existing workflows which is why you should familiarize yourself with them before the update.
Important Changes to Skies Tiers
Until version 6.2, Strawberry was offering a single skies tier for all users. From version 6.4.0 onwards, Strawberry offers 3 Skies tiers. Skies users that existed pre-Strawberry 6.4 will automatically be converted to the highest Skies tier, which is the
Creator tier. Administrators can change Skies tiers on a per-user basis at any time in the Strawberry Admin panel.
Important Changes to Archive Strategies
To better comply with modern archive workflows and to simplify the retrieval of individual files from the archive, Strawberry 6.4 no longer offers the
TAR option for new Archive Strategies. Projects that have been archived as
.tar files, will still be retrievable with Strawberry 6.4 and future Strawberry versions. Existing Archive Strategies that are using the
TAR option remain unchanged.
Important Changes to the Archiware P5 Integration
Up until now, Strawberry’s API integration into Archiware P5 completely relied on so-called
Job Inventory IDs for Strawberry to be able to retrieve files from a P5 archive plan. In October 2021, Projective has made been aware that P5 starts deleting these IDs once the
job inventory Index that holds these IDs runs full, which results in Strawberry being unable to retrieve the affected assets from the archive. While this behavior is non-destructive for assets that are in the archive, it makes it impossible to retrieve affected assets and projects via the Strawberry user interface. To work around this issue, Strawberry 6.4 offers a method to rebuild the P5 job inventory on a per-project basis, which allows customers to retrieve affected content from the archive via Strawberry. This method, however, requires manual preparation inside of the Strawberry Command Line Interface. Affected customers should reach out to our support to get additional info on how to initiate the process.
Important Changes to the “Trash” And “Snapshot” Directories
After a project has been successfully archived or deleted, Strawberry 6.4 will immediately remove the project from the
Snapshot and the
Trash directories. This change will result in a more accurate representation of available storage space after an archival or deletion operation.
Important changes to External Libraries
External Libraries can no longer be archived via Strawberry.
 Running the prepare_60_update script might take some time depending on the number of proxy files generated on your installation. As an alternative we can manually execute this last step after the update to 6.4.x has been performed. During the manual execution, the proxy files might be displayed with an empty placeholder and these will come online one by one.
Need more help with this?
Visit the Projective Support Websites